≡ Menu

Met Police Now Involved In Clattenburg Affair

The Metropolitan Police has announced that they have started an investigation into alleged comments by referee Mark Clattenburg towards Chelsea players during Manchester United’s 3-2 win on Sunday.

A statement from the Metropolitan Police said:

“An investigation has been launched into alleged comments made during a football match between Chelsea FC and Manchester United FC at Stamford Bridge on 28 October 2012.

“This follows on from a complaint received by the Metropolitan Police Service on 29 October.

“Officers from Hammersmith & Fulham borough are in liaison with Chelsea Football Club and the Football Association.

“At this time, the MPS has not received any complaint from either Chelsea Football Club, or the Football Association.

“We continue to work in partnership with Chelsea Football Club and the Football Association in order to consider any allegation that is made in relation to the reported events.”

The Football Association had already begun its own investigation following a complaint by Chelsea. They accused Clattenburg of using “inappropriate language”, including racial words, towards two players.

When the Met Police got involved in the John Terry racial abuse case, the FA halted its own investigation so as to not influence the police’s case. Will they step aside here again?

Clattenburg is reported to formally deny allegations today that he used “inappropriate language” towards Chelsea stars John Obi Mikel and Juan Mata.

Clattenburg, his assistants and the fourth official are understood to have been stunned by the claims, as Michael McDonough, Simon Long and Michael Jones denied hearing anything of that nature over the officials’ microphone link-up.

There are also reports of of major confrontation in the referee’s dressing room after the game when Mikel angrily accused Clattenburg of abusing him in front of Chelsea manager Roberto Di Matteo, assistant manager Eddie Newton and chief executive Ron Gourlay. Security had to come in an break up the meeting after Mikel began hurling expletive-laden threats towards Mikel. It is reported that the words “I’m gonna f******g break your legs” were heard in the tunnel outside the referee’s dressing room, although it is not known who actually said that.