Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has hailed Paul Pogba as “one of the best attacking midfielders in the world” after he inspired Manchester United to victory at Chelsea.
The Frenchman made a goal for Ander Herrera before scoring one himself in an impressive 2-0 win at Stamford Bridge just six days after seeing red during the Champions League defeat to Paris Saint-Germain.
“It was a great response, playing against one of the best defensive midfielders in the world with [N’Golo] Kante next to him,” Solskjaer told a news conference. “We know [Pogba] is one of the best attacking midfielders in the world. Read more... (408 words, estimated 1:38 mins reading time)
Manchester United were drawn away to Wolves in the quarter-finals of the FA Cup after Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s side knocked out holders Chelsea on Monday.
Pep Guardiola’s quadruple-chasing Manchester City face a second successive trip to Wales, with Championship side Swansea their opponents.
Watford will host Crystal Palace at Vicarage Road in a repeat of the 2016 FA Cup semi-final, while 2004 FA Cup finalists Millwall will meet Chris Hughton’s Brighton.
United bounced back from their Champions League last-16 first leg defeat against Paris Saint-Germain in midweek to beat Chelsea 2-0 at Stamford Bridge and increase the scrutiny on Maurizio Sarri in the last of the fifth round ties. Read more... (258 words, estimated 1:02 mins reading time)
Juventus sporting director Fabio Paratici has revealed the Serie A leaders are interested in Inter Milan striker Mauro Icardi.
The Argentine was replaced by goalkeeper Samir Handanovic as captain last week amid contract talks and refused to travel for their Europa League victory at Rapid Vienna a day later.
The club subsequently announced Icardi would miss the visit of Sampdoria on Sunday through injury and the 25-year-old watched his team-mates secure a 2-1 win from the stands.
Icardi’s current deal at the San Siro runs out in the summer of 2021 and Serie A rivals Juventus have made an initial enquiry. Read more... (335 words, estimated 1:20 mins reading time)
Real Madrid defender Sergio Ramos will definitely be free to face Barcelona in the Copa del Rey after picking up another convenient card in the 2-1 defeat by Girona.
Ramos went into the match on four La Liga bookings, knowing a fifth would activate a one-match domestic ban, and was cautioned in the 64th minute for using his hands to prevent a goal.
That automatically ruled him out of next weekend’s game against Levante but the Real captain’s day went from bad to worse when he received a second yellow and was sent off after appearing to make contact with a Girona player’s head during an attempted a bicycle kick at the death. Read more... (437 words, estimated 1:45 mins reading time)
Zinedine Zidane is interested becoming manager of Chelsea, providing the club can give him certain assurances.
Current manager Maurizio Sarri is under mounting pressure after what has been a difficult season and Zidane is keen to talk to the club about coming in to replace him, according to media reports.
However, the former Real Madrid boss would need the Blues to guarantee that star man Eden Hazard stays at the club.
Zidane would also need a transfer kitty in the region of £200m to improve the squad as well as being granted a major say in recruitment alongside Marina Granovskaia. Read more... (214 words, estimated 51 secs reading time)
Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp is ready to play Fabinho in central defence alongside Joel Matip if Dejan Lovren fails to recover from a hamstring injury.
Virgil van Dijk is suspended for the last-16 first-leg while Joe Gomez is sidelined with his recovery from a fractured leg.
Klopp said that Lovren is touch-and-go to make Tuesday’s match at Anfield.
‘Dejan, I actually have to wait minute by minute if there is a chance or not,’ Klopp said.
‘Fabinho? In the Champions League, against Bayern Munich, it is not an easy job but it makes sense, it depends all about how we defend in general. Read more... (213 words, estimated 51 secs reading time)
Manchester United have received a whopping £3.8BILLION takeover bid from Saudi Crown Prince Mohammad bin Salman.
The Saudi royal family, who are worth a staggering £850bn, are hoping to tempt United’s current owners the Glazers into selling the club before the start of next season.
The proposed takeover bid comes after United chiefs have been seen spending an increasing amount of time in Saudi Arabia, according to media reports.
Sources close to the Glazer family claim that they are against selling the Premier League club but an offer that big could certainly tempt United’s owners. Read more... (264 words, estimated 1:03 mins reading time)
Struggling Manchester United star Alexis Sanchez has admitted he is running out of time to resurrect his career at Old Trafford after losing confidence under previous manager Jose Mourinho.
Sanchez, understood to be the highest-paid player in the Premier League on £350,000-a-week, has a golden opportunity to shine against Chelsea and Liverpool this week because of injuries to Anthony Martial and Jesse Lingard.
And the 30-year-old Chilean is aware he has to deliver.
‘I think a player like me has to show it right now. There is no time (to lose), nothing,’ said Sanchez, who has started just 18 league games for United since joining from Arsenal at the start of last year Read more... (504 words, estimated 2:01 mins reading time)
Arsenal will miss Aaron Ramsey when he leaves for Juventus, according to Arsene Wenger as the Wales midfielder is set to move to Turin when his Emirates contract expires this summer.
Ramsey ran his deal down after talks reached an impasse and last week signed lucrative terms in Italy. But Wenger believes Arsenal should have convinced the 28-year-old to stay.
‘It will be a loss for Arsenal,’ said Wenger, speaking at the Laureus Sport for Good presentation. ‘I must say it will be an interesting move for Ramsey. He is a player who is great going forward. Read more... (274 words, estimated 1:06 mins reading time)
Manchester United are lining up a sensational £70million bid to bring Jadon Sancho back to England, according to reports.
The 18-year-old forward has won plenty of plaudits after impressing in his short spell at Borussia Dortmund since leaving Manchester City in 2017.
Sancho returned to England for his first game at club-level since leaving last week as Dortmund were comfortably beaten 3-0 by Tottenham at Wembley.
However, according to media reports, Ole Gunnar Solskjaer is lining up a mega-money move to bring the promising young talent back permanently. Read more... (242 words, estimated 58 secs reading time)