Any hopes that Gunners fans had of Arsenal doing a Chelsea and winning the Champions League this season were all but extinguished after 20 minutes when Bayern scored their second away goal of the game. Despite an Arsenal flurry in the second half, the Gunners were second best on the night.
Some quick thoughts on the game:
- Once again, its was brutal defending by Arsenal that cost them tonight. All three goals were easily preventable, as has been the case most of the season. On Bayern’s first, Arteta failed to close down Muller and his cross eventually fell to Kroos to school. Really poor defending from an experienced player who should know better.
- Surprise surprise (not) but Arsenal conceded another goal from a corner. Van Buyten was unchallenged to win the header and then Szczesny palms the ball up in the air for Muller to score. it looked like Szczesny was playing volleyball the way he set Muller up.
- The third goal came when Carzola did not track back against Lamb, whose cross was turned in by Mandzukic with Sagna and Szczesny looking like they had never seen a low ball across the six yard box before.
- The frustrating part for Arsenal fans, is that despite being awful in the first half, they had a 20 minute spell in the second half where they could have tied the game up. Why can’t Arsenal play like that for 90 minutes? After Podolski made it 2-1, Walcott put in a great cross and Giroud smashed it straight at Neuer. It is one of those, that a foot either way and its a goal.
- That being said, it is also a chance that Giroud should have put away. It’s the kind of chance that top quality strikers finish. Van Persie would have scored, and maybe that is why Arsenal are where they are this season. Except for Jack Wilshere, they have no world class players in the team. And when they needed them tonight, their big names did not show up. Arteta and Carzola were poor as was Podolski while Szczesny once again showed he is not good a good enough goalkeeper for a top four side.
- At 2-1 I thought Arsenal had a chance. At 3-1 I don’t. They will get chances in Munich to score, Bayern are not as strong defensively as their record indicates, but there is no way that Arsenal will keep a clean sheet in Munich, I am cannot see them scoring four or five.
What did you think of Arsenal’s performance tonight?