Since the summer transfer window closes, the English media have repeatedly linked the FIFA Ballon d’Or winner with a return to Manchester United, a move that would cost United a reported £200 million over five years once the transfer fee and wages are calculated.
But Ancelotti insist Ronaldo, who joined Real in 2009 after six seasons at Old Trafford, is happy in Madrid. Moreover, the European Champion have no intention of selling their best player any time soon.
“I can’t imagine a Madrid without Ronaldo,” Ancelotti said in Friday’s press conference. “These reports make no sense. He is delighted to be at Madrid and the madridismo (the club and fans) are thrilled with Cristiano.”
The 29-year-old is under contract with the Bernabeu outfit until June 2018.
“Right now he (Ronaldo) is without a doubt the best player in the world,” Ancelotti said. “To defend him is not easy and we are fortunate that he plays in our team showing a lot of hunger, character and personality.
“He plays like a leader. We have to have him well physically and mentally because he is a player that wins you titles.”
If I was Real Madrid I would be worried that the stories linking Ronaldo to United have not gone away. They have only gotten stronger the past three months, as the Portuguese striker has expressed his displeasure of Real selling Angel Di Maria and Xavi Alonso this summer.
Would Ronaldo really leave the Santiago Bernabéu for Old Trafford next summer? I think that depends on how United do this season. They will have to qualify for the Champions League next season and show that they are capable of challenging Chelsea and Manchester City for the Premier League title. That looks a long way from the side that blew a 3-1 lead against Leicester last week with less than 20 minutes to go.
Do you think Ronaldo will ever return to Man United?