Arsenal have been drawn against Russian side CSKA Moscow in the Europa League quarter-finals. The Gunners will host the first leg at Emirates Stadium on 5 April with the return game in Moscow a week later.
Spanish side Atletico Madrid, who are second in La Liga, face Sporting Lisbon of Portugal.
Arsenal beat AC Milan 3-1 in the previous round for a 5-1 aggregate win, to reach their first European quarter-final since 2010.
They are 12 points adrift of fourth place in the Premier League and winning the Europa League appears to be their best chance of qualifying for next season’s Champions League.
Europa League Quarter-Finals Preview
Leipzig (GER) v Marseille (FRA)
- The teams have never met before in UEFA competition.
- Leipzig took four points off Marseille’s neighbours Monaco in this season’s UEFA Champions League group stage, drawing 1-1 in Germany and scoring four first-half goals in a 4-1 win in the return fixture.
- Marseille have won only once in eight visits to Germany (D2 L5).
Arsenal (ENG) v CSKA Moscow (RUS)
- Arsenal and CSKA Moscow met in the 2006/07 UEFA Champions League group stage, the Russian club winning 1-0 at home before a goalless draw in north London.
- Arsenal’s heaviest defeat in this competition came at home to Russian opponents, going down 5-2 against Spartak Moskva in the 1982/83 first round second leg. That completed an 8-4 aggregate loss.
- The Gunners have never won in four previous trips to Russia, losing three of them.
- CSKA have lost their last five games against English opposition, most recently succumbing home (1-4) and away (1-2) to Manchester United in this season’s UEFA Champions League group stage.
Atlético Madrid (ESP) v Sporting CP (POR)
- Atlético and Sporting’s only previous encounters came in the 2009/10 round of 16. The teams drew 0-0 in Madrid and 2-2 in Lisbon, with the Spanish side going on to lift the trophy that season.
- Sporting CP have never won in 12 previous visits to Spain (L9 D3).
- Sporting CP lost home (0-1) and away (0-2) to Barcelona in this season’s UEFA Champions League group stage. That stretched their run of defeats by Liga clubs to five – they have won just one of their last 12 matches against Spanish opponents (D3 L8).
- Jan Oblak won four out of five games against Sporting CP during his time in Portugal with Leiria, Rio Ave and Benfica.
Lazio (ITA) v Salzburg (AUT)
- Salzburg, who are still unbeaten in this season’s competition, beat Lazio 2-1 home and away in the 2009/10 group stage.
- Lazio have lost their last three games against Austrian opposition.
- Salzburg suffered their joint heaviest European defeat in Italy, crashing 5-0 at Parma in the 2003/04 UEFA Cup second round second leg.
The final will take place at the Parc Olympique Lyonnais on 16 May.
Europa League Quarter-Finals 1st Leg
RB Leipzig v Marseille – Buy Europa League Tickets
Arsenal v CSKA Moscow – Buy Europa League Tickets
Atletico Madrid v Sporting Lisbon – Buy Europa League Tickets
Lazio v Red Bull Salzburg – Buy Europa League Tickets
Europa League Last-32 Draw 2nd Leg
Marseille v RB Leipzig – Buy Europa League Tickets
CSKA Moscow v Arsenal
Sporting Lisbon v Atletico Madrid – Buy Europa League Tickets
Red Bull Salzburg v Lazio – Buy Europa League Tickets