Liverpool have announced that they will play Barcelona and former Reds striker Luis Suarez in a pre-season friendly on August 6 at Wembley, as part of the International Champions Cup.
The match would usually be held across the US but the Spanish champions wanted to keep their pre-season plans local after a long summer of international football.
Liverpool and Barcelona last met in the Champions League last-16 stage in 2007 with the Reds triumphing on away goals.
This timing, just a week before the start of the new Premier League season, means that both sides should be able to bring all their stars to a game that could overshadow the Community Shield, which will be held two days later.
“It will be an incredible match which will conclude our involvement in a top class tournament, all under the iconic Wembley arch,” Gary McAllister said at Wembley.
“I’m sure this match will be a great spectacle for the fans of the Reds and for fans of football in general.
“I’m looking forward to it already.”
Charlie Stillitano, chairman of ICC tournament organisers Relevent Sports, said:
“Barcelona and Liverpool are two of the biggest football clubs in the world.
“The ability to have these two powerhouse clubs compete is what the ICC is all about and truly an honour. Bringing these clubs and the ICC to Wembley Stadium is an incredible mark of the growth of tournament in only four years.”
The match will bring to an end a busy preseason for Jurgen Klopp’s side be the first time that will see them play 7 games in a month,
Liverpool FC pre-season 2016/17 dates:
- July 8 – Tranmere Rovers (a)
- July 13 – Fleetwood Town (a)
- July 17 – Wigan Athletic (a)
- July 20 – Huddersfield Town (a) (7.45pm BST)
- July 27: Liverpool vs. Chelsea Pasadena, California – Buy Liverpool v Chelsea Tickets
- July 30: Liverpool vs. Milan Santa Clara, CA – Buy Liverpool v AC Milan Tickets
- August 6 – Liverpool v Barcelona at Wembley – Buy Liverpool v Barcelona Tickets
- August 13 – Premier League season starts