According the the talkative Wigan owner Dave Whelan, Roberto Martinez has been made an offer by Liverpool to take over as manager.
Martinez broke off from his holiday in Barbados for talks with the Reds in Florida and Whelan says he now wants his manager’s future resolved by next Thursday.
“He had a meeting on Thursday with the owner of Liverpool in Miami,” Whelan told BBC Sport. “I think they have made some kind of offer.
“They will speak again on Tuesday. I’ve said I want a decision by Thursday.”
Liverpool have declined to comment on Whelan’s claims.
Martinez received permission from Whelan to speak to the Reds last week and was previously handed a deadline to sort his future of 5 June by Whelan, which the Latics owner now appears to have brought forward.
Whelan went on to say:
“We are having a meeting on Tuesday when he’s going to put everything to me. He’s very honest. He arrives back in the morning and we will get together in the afternoon.”
However, Whelan insisted it is by no means certain the 38-year-old will accept the offer to take over at Anfield.
“I think Roberto has put his cards on the table and said ‘If I’m going to Liverpool I want the following’,” said the Wigan owner.
“Roberto has to run the football club from top to bottom. Without that I don’t think he would go.
“I should not be saying how good Roberto is because I want to keep him. There’s no question he’s the best young manager in Europe.”
Interesting comment from Whelan that Martinez will want total control of the footballing side of the club, as that is the opposite direction of where FSG appear to be going with their desire for to have a Director of Football/Sporting Director, who presumably would run the footballing side of the business while Liverpool Managing Director Ian Ayre would run the non-footballing side of the club.
So I expect more twists and turns in this story, but what do you think about Martinez becoming the next Liverpool manager?