Manchester United kicked off their Champions League campaign tonight with an unimpressive 1-0 win at home to Galatasaray, with Michael Carrick scoring the United goal. Here are some quick thoughts on the game:
- For the third time this season United missed a penalty. Nani joining Van Persie and Chicharito in missing. What amazed me, was not the miss, but that after the game SAF said that he thought Van Persie should have taken it, not Nani. WTF. Isn’t that something you decide before the game?
- Heading into the match, Fergie had spoken about how United have to be better defensively, especially at home in the Champions League. Well I don’t think that his players were listening as this looked like a carbon copy of the kind of performance that United gave in Champions League last season.
- On the plane home tonight, Galatasaray will be asking themselves how they did not win this match. They hit the woodwork three times, had two penalty shouts and forced David De Gea into a couple of really good saves. This could easily have been another home Champions League defeat for United.
- The highlight of the night for United might have been the return of Darren Fletcher after 10 months out. United have really missed his energy in midfield and his ability to score in the big games.
- This was by far Robin van Persie’s worst game in a United shirt. I was amazed that Fergie did not put Hernandez on much sooner.
- These are still early days in the season, but United have failed to really turn it on for 90 minutes this season. They seem to be a team in transition, still absorbing the new signings into the team.
What dod you think of the result and United’s performance tonight?