UEFA has released the three names on the shortlist for the 2015-16 UEFA Best Player in Europe Award and there is a notable omission. Barcelona star Lionel Messi. Three nominees are Real Madrid duo Gareth Bale and Cristiano Ronaldo and Atletico Madrid star Antoine Griezmann.
Ronaldo captained Portugal to glory at Euro 2016, when he was taken off injured during the final, and scored the winning shootout penalty for Real Madrid as they won the Champions League for an 11th time.
His Bernabeu colleague Bale also shone in France, where his three goals helped unfancied Wales to reach the last four, and struck in the Champions League shootout.
France international Griezmann suffered at the hands of Bale and Ronaldo as his Atletico side were beaten in the Champions League final, missing a penalty in normal time, but was top scorer at Euro 2016 with six goals as hosts France reached the final.
Messi came in 5th in the voting despite leading Barcelona to another La Liga title and Copa del Rey double, plus starring in the Copa America tournament where Argentina lost in the final to Chile on penalties.
HOW THE FINAL THREE COMPARE
- Honours: UEFA Champions League
- Domestic league Appearances: 23 Goals: 19 Assists: 10
- UEFA Champions League Appearances: 8 Goals: 0 Assists: 3
- UEFA EURO 2016 Appearances: 6 Goals: 3 Assists: 1
- Honours: UEFA Champions League, UEFA EURO 2016
- Domestic league Appearances: 36 Goals: 35 Assists: 11
- UEFA Champions League Appearances: 12 Goals: 16 Assists: 4
- UEFA EURO 2016 Appearances: 7 Goals: 3 Assists: 3
- Honours: none
- Domestic league Appearances: 38 Goals: 22 Assists: 5
- UEFA Champions League Appearances: 13 Goals: 7 Assists: 1
- UEFA EURO 2016 Appearances: 7 Goals: 6 Assists: 2
Who do you think will win?