≡ Menu

John Terry To Be Charged With Racially Aggravated Public Order Offence

England captian John Terry has been charged with racially aggravated public order offence. His court date is set for Feb 1.

In a statemet, Alison Saunders, Chief Crown Prosecutor for London, said:

“I have today advised the Metropolitan Police Service that John Terry should be prosecuted for a racially aggravated public order offence following comments allegedly made during a Premier League football match between Queen’s Park Rangers and Chelsea on 23 October 2011. The decision was taken in accordance with the Code for Crown Prosecutors and after careful consideration of all the evidence I am satisfied there is sufficient evidence for a realistic prospect of conviction and it is in the public interest to prosecute this case. Mr Terry will appear before West London Magistrates’ Court on 1 February 2012.”

Terry has previously denied the charges and issued this statement following the news he is to be prosecuted for racially abusing Anton Ferdinand:

“I hope to be given a chance to clear my name,” he says. “I have never aimed a racism remark at anyone and count people from all creeds amongst my friends.”

Landmark 24 hours in England with Saurez found guilty of racism by FA yesterday and today John Terry is being prosecuted by law.

I would expect that the FA will wait until the outcome of Terry’s trial before they suspend him. With Suarez being given an 8-match suspension, will the FA give Terry the same or more?

 

{ 0 comments… add one }

Leave a Comment