Arsenal shocked Chelsea 5-3 at Stamford Bridge today as Robin Van Persie scored a hat-trick. It was a massive win for Arsenal at Stamford Bridge today as they twice came from a goal down to beat Chelsea 5-3 and move within 3 points of Chelsea in 3rd place.
Here is the Arsenal perspective on the match from our Arsenal site.
This was 90 minutes of end to end stuff. It was like a training match, with both teams focused on outscoring the other instead of defending.
Lots of talking points, but here are my quick thoughts on the match
- Robin Van Persie with a hat-trick has now scored 28 goals in 27 Premier League games this calendar year. He was simply unstoppable today.
- Theo Walcott scored one and made a couple of great crosses in the first half that Arsenal should have scored from. His pace unsettled Cashley Cole all day.
- Aaron Ramsey was in the number 10 role today and was brilliant. Sometimes it is easy to forget how young he is.
- Mikel Arteta brings experience and calmness to the Arsenal midfield that has been sorely missing in recent years. He was happy to let Ramsey’s youthful energy take over, but Arteta was always their when Arsenal needed an outlet, or an older head to calm things down.
- In the first ten minutes I thought this was going to be Old Trafford all over again, as Arsene Wenger had Arsenal play a much too high a line and as a result, Chelsea players were running free from deep positions. Unlike Old Trafford, Wenger made a tactical change about 15 minutes in and the Arsenal defence looked much better after that.
- Mertesacker was at fault for Chelsea’s first two goals. How someone his size can be beaten on a cross and corner like that is beyond me.
Overall massive win for everyone associated at the club. With upcoming games against West Brom (H), Norwich (A), Fulham (H) and Wigan (A), Arsenal have a great opportunity to pick up 12 points in November and put pressure on Chelsea for that third spot in the table.
What did you think of the match today?