Wenger Wants New Contract After Record Setting FA Cup Win

Arsene Wenger Holds Aloft FA CupArsenal boss Arsene Wenger says Saturday’s FA Cup final win over Chelsea proves that he is worthy of a new contract.

Wenger has come in for criticism from a number of Arsenal fans this season after the club failed to reach the Champions League for the first time in 19 years, and his current deal expires next month.

But the Gunners ended their season on a high with a 2-1 win over the Premier League champions at Wembley.

And Wenger revealed after the game that the Arsenal board will hold a meeting on Tuesday, with his future expected to be decided then.

Asked if he would be preparing a presentation ahead of the meeting, Wenger said:

“The best presentation is to watch the game (against Chelsea).

“I’ve played until the end of my contract, which is today basically. I think I have shown you that I have exactly the same commitment.

“For me, the contract does not have special meaning but, because of the debate, maybe I should have sorted that out earlier.”

And Wenger says he drilled into his players that succeeding against Chelsea was more important than what his own future holds.

“I just told them to focus on what is important, our future, the future of the club, whether I stay or not,” he added.

“The players play for their future, for their next season.

“I love my job and I love to win. I love to build, I love to get people going and I love what I do.

“I invite you to live with me one day and one thing you cannot question is my commitment.”

Wenger criticised those fans who had called for his exit during matches in the latter part of the season, but said he does not have to hold it against them in the long run.

“I am a forgiving man,” he said. “You cannot be in this job (if you are not forgiving).

“This job is basically trusting human beings. If you cannot forgive, you cannot trust.

“The only bit of advice I have for young coaches – if you have a tendency to be paranoid, don’t do this job.

“I meet many Arsenal fans who are absolutely fantastic. It was maybe one per cent. Ninety-nine per cent of our fans are absolutely fantastic. We play for the 99.9 per cent.

“That’s why I said it’s not about popularity, it’s about consequence.

“It’s the board who has to decide who will lead the club in the future. It’s for me afterwards to decide, if they want me, whether it’s yes or no.”

What do you think Arsenal fans. Should Arsene Wenger be given a new contract?

• David December 8, 2015, 4:20 am

Arsenal could lose, Liverpool will win but only just and Klopp would be judged for next season perfomance.

• Austine December 5, 2016, 11:15 pm

For me comparing both teams chances of winning or losing i would say arseal have the big odd and liverpool, can fail becuse they fail when it maters most check their record

• Raymond L. March 10, 2015, 5:11 am

Liverpool is slowly getting into form and Arsenal has played relatively well in the past few weeks, too… so it would be very nice to see both of them compete for the FA Cup finals.

However, I’m not really feeling optimistic of their chances to go that far since most top-flight English squads this year have a knack for under-performing in crucial matches.

• David March 10, 2015, 8:32 am

As Liverpool v Arsenal cup final would be a great final. But as you mentioned, the FA Cup this season has been full of upsets and surprises and a Bradford v Villa final would not surprise anyone either.

• Theo slater March 7, 2013, 11:25 am

Rooney Better play with van persie

• David March 7, 2013, 6:41 pm

I fully expect to see an angry Rooney on Sunday taking on Chelsea

• banksy ov hull January 30, 2013, 6:12 am

congratulations to leeds utd on a fantastic display to dispose of a good spurs side.no one likes us but we really dont care.good luck versus man city we will need it.cmon leeds leeds leeds!!!!

• kosy March 18, 2012, 12:47 pm

liverpool will do justice to stoke,,like what they did to everton

• Taban Evans April 15, 2011, 5:04 am

Leave along the super star”Rooney”, but man u is playing a quality football. Am sure of man u going with 2 out of the three.

• cabdisamed March 27, 2011, 1:51 pm

i hope that man united will take or win in the FA cup for this year because it plays a good games by passing qualified teams like arsenal so it deserves to take this year

• Deborah Morgan May 10, 2011, 6:11 am

I think you’ll find that Stoke just wiped the floor with Arsenal!!