The Stanley Park rivals meet at Anfield on Sunday in the Premier League and that will again be the venue when they face each other over the first weekend of January.
Not since 1932 have they been drawn together at this stage of the competition, when Liverpool were 2-1 winners at Goodison Park.
More recently they met in the semi-final of 2012 when second-half goals from Liverpool’s Luis Suarez and Andy Carroll reversed Nikica Jelavic’s opener.
There remains a chance that this will be the first third round without a non-League team since 1925, but that did not detract from an intriguing draw.
Seventh-tier Hereford — the phoenix club formed in 2014 following the demise of old FA Cup giantkillers Hereford United — must first negotiate a home replay against League One Fleetwood Town if they are to entertain top-flight Leicester City.
Fellow non-League clubs Woking and AFC Flyde must also overcome replays if they are to earn trips to Aston Villa and Bournemouth respectively.
Of the Premier League’s other top-six clubs, leaders Manchester City host Burnley, Chelsea are away at Norwich City, Manchester United face Derby County at Old Trafford and Arsenal travel to Nottingham Forest.
Elsewhere, there was the romance of another phoenix club, AFC Wimbledon, returning to Wembley to face Spurs, 30 years on from Wimbledon’s victory over Liverpool in the FA Cup final.
THE FA CUP THIRD ROUND DRAW
- Ipswich Town v Sheffield United
- Watford v Bristol City
- Birmingham City v Burton Albion
- Liverpool v Everton
- Brighton & Hove Albion v Crystal Palace
- Aston Villa v Woking or Peterborough United
- Bournemouth v AFC Fylde or Wigan
- Coventry City v Stoke City
- Newport County v Leeds United
- Bolton Wanderers v Huddersfield Town
- Port Vale v Bradford City
- Nottingham Forest v Arsenal
- Brentford v Notts County
- Queens Park Rangers v MK Dons
- Manchester United v Derby County
- Forest Green Rovers or Exeter City v West Bromwich Albion
- Doncaster Rovers v Rochdale
- Tottenham Hotspur v AFC Wimbledon
- Middlesbrough v Sunderland
- Fleetwood or Hereford v Leicester City
- Blackburn Rovers or Crewe Alexandra v Hull City
- Cardiff City v Mansfield Town
- Manchester City v Burnley
- Shrewsbury Town v West Ham United
- Wolverhampton Wanderers v Swansea City
- Stevenage v Reading
- Newcastle United v Luton Town
- Millwall v Barnsley
- Fulham v Southampton
- Wycombe Wanderers v Preston North End
- Norwich City v Chelsea
- Gillingham or Carlisle United v Sheffield Wednesday
Ties will take place from 5-7 January 2018