There is no doubt that the Premier League is the most popular league in the world as the latest research estimates that the Premier League matches attracted a staggering 4.7BILLION TV viewers last season.
Figures released by the Sport+Markt group in Germany show the tremendous appeal of the Premier League around the world. SHere are some of the amazing numbers:
Numbers of Viewers:
- 70% of ALL football fans worldwide are now watching the English game
- TV coverage of the Premier League reached 643million homes last season, a rise of 11pc over the previous season.
- 3.9bn fans watched a game a home last season
- In the UK alone, 629m viewers watched live or highlighted match last season, with a further 761m across the rest of Europe.
- 777m fans watched a game in a pub or bar somewhere in the world
- 1.3bn viewers tuned in to watch a match last season in the Asia and Oceania region
- 64pc of all Chinese fans now support a Premier League club
- Half the football followers in the USA have a favourite English team.
Andrew Walsh, the Sport+Markt head of international affairs, said:
“The explanation for these remarkable figures lies largely in the redistribution of international rights for the start of the new three-year broadcast term last year. One main driver of the rise was the switch of the League’s broadcast rights in China from pay TV over to terrestrial coverage. That has burst open the floodgates in terms of the Premier League’s popularity in the world’s biggest and fastest-growing market.”
A Premier League spokesman said:
“Our international fan base and success is helping develop English football at all levels, something we should all be pleased about. Whether they are at the ground in person or watching all around the world on TV, fans know what they will get from a Premier League game. They’ll see some of the world’s best talent in thrilling matches played at packed stadiums.”