Premier League

Cardiff Stun Man City And Spurs Beat Swansea

cardiff-cityCardiff City pulled off the first major upset of the Premier League season as they beat Manchester City 3-2. Fraizer Campbell was the match-winner, scoring twice in the last 11 minutes to give Malky Mackay’s men victory after Aron Gunnarsson had cancelled out Edin Dzeko’s fine 52nd-minute opener for Manchester City.

It was Cardiff’s first home game in the English top flight since 1962 and a capacity crowd at the Cardiff City Stadium made for a raucous atmosphere. City dominated possession in the first half but Cardiff worked tirelessly to keep them at bay and their only effort of note was a meek David Silva shot that goalkeeper David Marshall caught comfortably.

Not sure if Cardiff can keep that sort of energy up for 38 games, but it was impressive how hard they worked today.

City made the breakthrough seven minutes into the second half when Sergio Aguero found Dzeko with a deft flick and the striker beat Marshall from outside the area.

I expected City to go on and win the game comfortably, but Cardiff was back on level terms 8 minutes later when Gunnarsson scored from close range after Hart had spilled a shot from Campbell.

Twenty minutes later it was 2-1 Cardiff thanks to some shambolic defending by City. Whittingham’s corner caused panic and Hart got tangled with Gunnarsson. Campbell lost Zabaleta and the header was simple.

Eight minutes later Zabaleta was turned inside out by Campbell and his cross was headed home by Campbell.

Alvaro Negredo pulled one back in stoppage time, but City boss Manuel has to be worried about Joe Hart’s lack of form and the horrible defending.

In the day’s other game, Tottenham Hotspur beat Swansea City 1-0 at White Hart Lane. Spurs were impressive and Swansea ere lucky not to concede a goal amid one-way traffic in the first half. Paulinho threatened on a number of occasions and Swansea captain Ashley Williams headed the ball against his own post, while Spurs should have been given a penalty shortly before half-time.

Jonjo Shelvey felled Andros Townsend in the box in the second half, and the referee duly pointed to the spot. Spain striker Soldado kept his cool to convert his second Premier League penalty in two games.