Just when you thought the drama over Antoine Griezmann’s transfer to Barcelona, La Liga president Javier Tebas says that Atletico Madrid have asked The Royal Spanish Football Federation (RFEF) to block the striker’s registration at Barcelona.
Barcelona completed the signing of the French forward when they triggered his €120m release clause earlier this month, but Atletico feel they are entitled to €200m, which was Gr iezmann’s release clause when he agreed to move to Catalonia
A statement from Atleti earlier this month alleged that they would take the Catalan giants to court over the deal, which they believe they can prove was agreed before the clause dropped.
“Atlético de Madrid believes that the amount deposited is insufficient to meet its rescission clause, since it is obvious that the commitment of the player and that of Football Club Barcelona was closed before the aforementioned clause was reduced from €200m to €120m,” read the statement.
“It was also prior to the date on which the clause was modified the communication that the player made on May 14 announcing his disengagement from the club.
“Atlético de Madrid believes that the termination of the contract occurred before the end of last season due to events, acts and demonstrations carried out by the player and that is why he has already started the procedures he considered appropriate for the defense of his rights and interests legitimate.”
Now Tebas has revealed that it is within the RFEF’s power to block the transfer if they chose to. In an interview with Onda Cero, Tebas said:
‘It is possible to block a player’s chip.
‘La Liga will have to decide what course of action to take.’
He added: ‘[Atletico] submitted a complaint and put in doubt whether we should pass Griezmann’s licence to Barcelona.
‘There’s a process that has been put in motion and those overseeing it will have to come to resolve the case.’
Barcelona president Josep Maria Bartomeu has denied breaking any rules and insists there is no proof of any wrongdoing.
‘Atletico Madrid believes the termination of the contract occurred before the end of last season due to events, acts and demonstrations carried out by the player and that is why we’ve already started procedures considered appropriate to defend our rights and legitimate interests.’
He recently said:
‘I have spoken to them, but I do not think there is any proof, because there is no evidence of anything.
‘I understand everyone defends their interests and I’ve spoken to [Enrique] Cerezo [Atletico president], but I don’t see that the case can evolve in a positive way for them. There’s nothing.
‘We contacted Griezmann after he made the video saying goodbye to the fans, there was nothing in March.’
Griezmann made his debut with Barcelona in a friendly against Chelsea at the Saitama Stadium in Japan earlier this week.