Real Madrid have requested to move their “El Clasico” league match against Barcelona forward to Friday March 1 from Saturday March 2. The reason is that Jose Mourinho’s side want an extra day to recover for the Champions League last 16 second-leg tie against United at Old Trafford on the 5th.
If the league game is rescheduled, it will also affect the two club’s Copa del Rey semi-final second-leg which is due on Wednesday February 27.
Currently the two Liga giants will only have one day’s rest between the Copa clash and the rearranged League game.
So logic would say that they will bring forward the Copa del Rey game to Febraury 26, which in turn will force them to move their League fixtures the previous weekend from Sunday 24 to Saturday 23.
In order to do that, Barca and Real Madrid will need the approval of Sevilla, who play Barcelona and Deportivo, who face Real Madrid that weekend.
If everything is agreed upon, the fixture list will be as follows:
- Saturday February 23: Barcelona v Sevilla and Deportivo v Real Madrid
- Tuesday February 26: Barcelona v Real Madrid (Copa del Rey semi-final second-leg)
- Friday March 1: Real Madrid v Barcelona
- Tuesday March 5: Manchester United v Real Madrid (Champions League last 16 second-leg)
- Wednesday March 6: Barcelona v AC Milan (Champions League last 16 second-leg)