The French League today released the 2013-14 fixture list, and they did champions Paris Saint-Germain no favors, as they will kick off the new season away to Montpellier on August 9.
In each of the last three Ligue 1 seasons, the title holder has failed to win their first match, and PSG will be looking to break that hoodoo at Stade de la Mosson.
Another much-anticipated fixture of the first weekend will see big-spending Monaco on the road at Bordeaux. Not an easy start for Claudio Ranieri’s side who also play Montpellier and Marseille in their first four games. We will get a good sense before the end of August how good Monaco will be.
The big match that fans around the world are interested in is the one on the weekend of September 21 when PSG host Monaco. The return leg in Monaco will be played in early February.
PSG face rivals Marseille in the first ‘Classique’ of the season on the weekend of October 5, with the reverse fixture to be held in the first weekend of March.
The Rhone derby between Saint-Etienne and Lyon will be first held on the weekend of November 9, with the former to host.
Here are some of the top fixtures in the first half of the season to watch:
- Sunday, September 1: Olympique de Marseille v AS Monaco
- Sunday, September 22: Paris Saint-Germain v AS Monaco
- Sunday, October 6: Olympique de Marseille v Paris Saint-Germain
- Sunday, October 28: AS Saint-Etienne v Paris Saint-Germain
- Sunday, November 10: AS Saint-Etienne v Olympique Lyonnais
- Sunday, December 1: Paris Saint-Germain v Olympique Lyonnais
- Sunday, December 15: Olympique Lyonnais v Olympique de Marseille
What games are you looking forward to watching?