Just a day after the players strike in Spain had been resolved and La Liag will begin its season this weekend, comes news that the first week in Serie A has been called off due to players strike.
The final attempt to reach a solution didn’t happened until Friday, morning so the players association decided to go on with their strike and refused to take on the pitch for the first week of Serie A, a disappointing decision that according to the AIC’s president, Dammiano Tomassi, could get worse if agreement still can’t be reached.
“We tried right up until the end, but all the attempts were in vain, The players are disappointed as they can’t take to the field. But the Lega has been after this for 18 months. I get the impression that if a solution is not found soon then it won’t take 15 days to resolve, the gap in between Week 1 and 2, but months,” Tomassi said.
The issue that have been causing dispute between the AIC and Lega Calcio is regarding two key points over a collective bargaining agreement, the first is about the power given to coaches to freeze out players from training, separating them from first team if they are no longer needed; while the second is about the payment method for a new solidarity tax for high earning players, which is the main stumbling block between the two sides.
The FIGC president, Giancarlo Abete, has warned about the strike could continue after the upcoming international break, if an agreement isn’t reached soon.
“It is not clear why we should sign an agreement modelled on the bridge of the original dispute, said Lega Calcio boss, Maurizio Beretta. “The possibility of a longer strike is a problem to be resolved. There is that risk when thinking about future games,” Abete stated.
photo credit: mjohn2101