It’s another all English Champions League semi-finals and this time it matches the two most successful teams in Premier League history.
Manchester United FC v Arsenal FC
Wednesday 29 April – Old Trafford
Tuesday 5 May – Arsenal Stadium
- Since meeting for the first time on 13 October 1894, the clubs have played 204 times. The Gunners have 77 wins to United’s 82.
- Apart from last season’s final, Manchester United have never met an English club in the UEFA Champions League.
- Arsenal have faced English opposition in Europe on two previous occasions, losing quarter-finals to Chelsea in 2003/04 and Liverpool last season.
- United’s ten preceding semi-final appearances have brought just three victories, the most recent being last season when they eliminated Barcelona on their way to a final victory against Chelsea in Moscow.
- Arsenal have a 100 per cent record in UEFA Champions League semi-finals, having beaten Villarreal in their only previous appearance in 2005/06.
- The clubs are the only teams to win the English league and FA Cup double three times. United did it in 1994, 1996 and 1999; Arsenal in 1971, 1998 and 2002.