Over 30,000 fans have taken part in a Barclays Global Fans Survey and they have voted Wayne Rooney voted as best player in the Premier League.
The Manchester United striker topped the vote with one in five fans voting him as the best current player in the Barclays Premier League.
A similar proportion of fans named Arsenal’s Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain as the most exciting new prospect over the next five years with the young England star claiming 17% of the vote.
England and Manchester United striker, Wayne Rooney said:
“It’s great to be recognised by the fans in this survey. I get messages from fans all over the world so I know how popular the Barclays Premier League is outside of the UK.”
Some of the other survey results were:
1. From the current Barclays Premier League players; Wayne Rooney (20%) would be first name on the fans’ team sheet, followed by Robin van Persie (14%) and Steven Gerrard (10%).
2. Wayne Rooney takes over from Chelsea striker Fernando Torres who was the favourite player in 2008.
3. Ryan Giggs is the best Barclays Premier League player of all time, according to supporters, overtaking Eric Cantona who topped the poll in the 2008 survey. Arsenal legend Thierry Henry (12%) and Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard (10%) make up the top three.
4. Manchester United boss Sir Alex Ferguson once again topped the poll as the fans’ favourite manager, with 41% of the vote.
5. However, the ‘Special One’, Jose Mourinho, is the manager fans are keen to welcome back with open arms as 38% voted him the manager they would most like to see in the Barclays Premier League.
6. The young players that fans felt will have the biggest impact on the Barclays Premier League over the next five years – Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain (17%), Jack Wilshere (13%) and Tom Cleverley (8%).