Chelsea won the English top-flight title in style last year, but the Italian is expecting the new season to be very difficult with their title rivals bringing in marquee signings.
Manchester City, Manchester United, Arsenal and Liverpool have all spent big this summer as they try to close the gap on the Stamford Bridge outfit and Conte knows Chelsea must buy if they ‘want to be competitive’ this term.
Conte, when asked how he reflects about teams spending big, told Sky Sports:
‘Every season, I think it’s right that every great team try to improve their squad, to improve the quality of their team.
‘For sure the teams you named are very strong (City, United, Arsenal), they have improved a lot and for us, the challenge will be very tough.
‘Also I hope to improve our squad, the transfer market is not finished and we want to be competitive and we want to try to fight for the title.’
‘I think most importantly is my club knows very well which is are priorities and I hope to try to work, to improve our squad, to improve our quality and then to be ready to fight for this season.’
Chelsea won the Premier League by seven points last season and the former Italy and Juventus boss believes it will be very difficult to win it again with so many teams fighting to finish top.
‘I repeat this league is not easy, you have to fight against another at least five teams. This league is different than in other countries when you find two teams fighting for the title.
‘Here you find six teams very strong and you must be very prepared to fight very hard,’ the 48-year-old said.
So far this summer, Chelsea have signed Antonio Rudiger, Tiemoue Bakayoko, Alvaro Morata and Willy Caballero as they look to get off to a strong start in the league.
Chelsea begin their new campaign against Burnley at Stamford Bridge on Saturday afternoon and Conte has given Blues fans a boost by suggesting that new £70.6million signing Morata could start.
He added: ‘He is working very well, he is improving a lot his physical condition and he is starting to understand our football, our idea of football and it could be a possibility for him to start on Saturday.’
Meanwhile, Conte ruled out any possibility of Diego Costa making a sensational u-turn and staying at Chelsea next season, by claiming he has been very clear in the past over the striker’s future.