FC Barcelona v Chelsea FC
Tuesday 28 April – Camp Nou
Wednesday 6 May – Stamford Bridge
- It is the third time the clubs have met in the latter stages. Barcelona won an epic quarter-final in 1999/00, 6-4 on aggregate after scoring twice in extra time, and also had the edge in the first knockout round in 2005/06 en route to winning a second European Champion Clubs’ Cup. Twelve months earlier at the same stage John Terry headed a late winner to send the Blues through 5-4 on aggregate.
- Barcelona have won four of the nine previous semi-finals they have contested – those successes coming in 1960/61, 1985/86, 1993/94 and 2005/06 – in addition to advancing to the 1991/92 final as winners of their last-eight group.
- Barcelona’s home record against English opposition is impressive, with 13 wins, nine draws and just two losses from 24 previous meetings. Both those defeats came against Liverpool: a 1-0 reverse in the 1975/76 UEFA Cup semi-final first leg, and then a 2-1 defeat in the 2006/07 first knockout round.
- Last season’s semi-final defeat by Manchester United means the Spanish club have won seven and lost nine of 16 two-legged contests against English opponents.
- Chelsea are in the semi-finals for the fifth time in six seasons. Their victory against Liverpool last season followed two previous defeats by the Reds, while they also lost at this stage in 2003/04, succumbing 5-3 on aggregate against AS Monaco FC.