Aguero officially penned a two-and-a-half-year extension to his current contract, which he had agreed earlier in January. The new contract runs until June 2014.
Reports claim that the new deal reduces the buy-out clause in the Argentine’s contract, though Aguero told Atletico’s website that, “I’m staying here because I want to.”
Rumours on Sunday had suggested the north London outfit had made a huge offer to sign the 22-year-old Argentina international, though Harry Redknapp denied it on Monday.
It was reported that Spurs’ bid had reached the buy-out clause in Aguero’s contract but tax rules halted the move going through. The striker, whose nickname is ‘Kun’, has been prolific throughout his time in the Spanish capital and has 13 goals to his name so far this term.
Atletico president Enrique Cerezo refuted suggestions that Spurs had made a bid for Aguero and insists it would be “unthinkable” to let either the Argentine or strike partner Diego Forlan, who has also been linked with Tottenham, leave the Vicente Calderon.
“Players play where they want to play and Kun and Forlan want to play at Atletico Madrid. We have no offers and we are not a selling club,” he said. “We want to continue with the players that have served us so well, that have brought us success and that are great players. It is unthinkable that Kun could leave Atletico Madrid.”