≡ Menu

Togo pull out of African Nations Cup

Togo have withdrawn from the African Nations Cup in Angola following the terrorist attack on their team bus.

Manchester City confirmed their striker Emmanuel Adebayor, the Togo captain, was returning home.

A statement on Man City’s official website said:

“Togo has pulled out of the African Nations Cup after their team bus came under gunfire in Angola. City star Emmanuel Adebayor, who is captain of the Togo side, was unharmed in the ambush and he and his team-mates met this morning before deciding that they wished to pull out of the tournament.”

“Their first game in the tournament had been scheduled to take place on Monday against Ghana, but they are now heading home to their families. Organisers have so far insisted the tournament will go ahead. The club is in regular contact with Emmanuel, his advisors and the English Football Association.”

Midfielder Alaixys Romao claimed the Togo players were encouraging other teams to pull out of the competition.

“We’re also talking to the other teams in our group to try to convince them to boycott the competition too,” the Grenoble player told L’Equipe.

Striker Jonathan Ayite added on French radio station RMC:

“We’re going back home. Ghana and the Ivory Coast are in solidarity with us.”

{ 0 comments… add one }

Leave a Comment