Dutch Play maker Arjen Robben looks like he could be on his way out of the Allianz Arena. Robben has been at the centre of a protracted contract extension with Bayern Munich after his hesitancy on signing a new deal emerged early last month.
Club president Uli Hoeness yesterday revealed that negotiations with the winger on a new deal broke down and his future with the club is now uncertain. Bayern were ready to offer Robben £170k per week to keep him at the Allianz Arena longer than 2013, but according to Robben ‘recent developments’ have forced him to think twice about signing the contract.
“All I know is that he was just about to put pen to paper, and now that has all been postponed.” Hoeness said.
It is not clear whether these developments include his bust-up with fellow star player Frank Ribery. Sport Bild magazine reports that Robben and Ribery came to blows in the dressing room following their dramatic Champions League victory over Real Madrid last Wednesday.
Pictures which surfaced showed Robben sporting a cut under his right eye. Of course Bayern downplayed the whole incident with their Media director Markus Horwick famously saying: “whatever happens in the dressing room stays in the dressing room”.
More speculation was thrown to the incident with Bayern coach Jupp Heynckes refusing to confirm or deny the incident. However, in a new twist, Robben yesterday hinted at an underlying issue when speaking wtih Kicker magazine.
“Franck knows that he cannot do what he did. These are all things which are not positive and not pretty, therefore I need to consider everything really well.” he said.
On the possibility of signing a new contract, this is what he had to say:
“There are a few different options,
“That is normal when you are at a top club and people know what I am capable of.”