Martin Rogers on Yahoo Sports has some interesting thoughts and predictions ahead of tomorrow MLS SuperDraft.
With the trading of veteran defender Nick Garcia to San Jose Earthquakes it looks like the Kansas City Wizards are all set to claim Virginia Tech’s Patrick Nyarko with the first pick. With Wizards forward Eddie Johnson heading to Europe it makes sense for the Wizards to pcik someone like Nyarko, a “complete package” type from Virginia Tech. He can pass, shoot and run at defenders. Plus, he’s got good size and great pace.
The trade makes sense for San Jose as they get an established and solid MLS player in Garcia who will help them in their inaugural season in MLS.
What other trades does Martin Rogers see? How about:
- Look for the Houston Dynamo to trade up so they can get 17-year-old local prospect Brek Shea, who has impressed here at the MLS combine. The Dynamo can no longer afford to wait for him to fall into their lap.
- Don’t be surprised if Andy Iro gets taken by the Los Angeles Galaxy in the No. 4 spot. Iro would likely opt out of MLS and pursue options in Europe if he were taken third by Real Salt Lake. With Ante Jazic out for four to six months, the Galaxy need defensive help.
- FC Dallas, who offloaded Carlos Ruiz to the Galaxy early Tuesday, would be wise to take Eric Avila to beef up their attacking options.
MLS Draft Predictions:
Here are Roger’s predicted top five selections:
1. Kansas City Wizards: Patrick Nyarko (Virginia Tech)
2. FC Dallas: Eric Avila (UC Santa Barbara)
3. Real Salt Lake: Julius James (University of Connecticut)
4. Los Angeles Galaxy: Andy Iro (UC Santa Barbara)
5. Colorado Rapids: Peter Lowry (Santa Clara)