With yet another Serie A loss on the books, this time at the hands of AC Milan, Chievo looks ready to return back to Serie B after the completion of the 2008-2009 campaign. The club has lost five straight Serie A matches and seven out of 8 with those defeats coming at the hands of Catania, Fiorentina, Cagliari, Lazio, Palermo, Juventus, and finally AC Milan.
The club has only managed six goals in the first 12 matches.
A closer look at Ceo follows:
1. Sergio Pellissier: The 29-year-old captain of the squad has been with the outfit since 2000. He has over 50 league goals for his side, but thus far, has only managed 1 goal on 26 shots. He needs to covert more of his scoring chances if Chievo is to be more competitive.
2. Michele Marcolini: The 33-year-old midfielder paces the club with two goals scored. The former Atalanta man has been one of the few bright spots.
3. Davide Mandelli: Another staple at the club since 2004, the 31-year-old defender has seen plenty of action for the club. He also contributed one of those six goals — making him an offensive force for Chievo!
4. Kerlon: The 20-year-old Samba sensation known more the seal dribble then for his attacking prowess has yet to make his way into the starting eleven for Chievo. Is the attacking midfielder/forward a good fit for Serie A?
5. Simone Grippo: The 19-year-old Swiss defensive mid has buckets of potential. Like Kerlon, it might be time to run the young lads out there.
6. Cesare Rickler: Ditto for Rickeler as well. The 21-year-old Italian centre back deserves a long look.