Impact-Site-Verification: 1513487169
≡ Menu

Arsenal Crash Out Of FA Cup

FA Cup and MeArsenal’s disappointing season reached rock bottom today when they lost 1-0 at home to Blackburn. The Gunners dominated the contest against the Championship club and had several chances to score, but saw their way through to goal blocked by a stunning performance by Rovers goalkeeper Jake Kean.

Tomas Rosicky also hit the crossbar for the Premier League side after 67 minutes and just five minutes later Colin Kazim-Richards grabbed what proved to be the winner for the second-tier side, smashing in the rebound after Wojciech Szczesny parried Martin Olsson’s initial strike back in front of goal.

Luton’s impressive FA Cup run came to an end with a 3-0 defeat at home to Millwall. The fifth-tier side had stunned Norwich City three weeks ago to reach this stage but found their Championship opponents one step too far at Kenilworth Road.

James Henry put the Lions in front after 12 minutes following a mistake by Janos Kovacs, with Rob Hulse adding another nine minutes before the interval from a tight angle. Dany N’Guessan then sealed the win with five minutes left to send Millwall through to the last eight.

Barnsley made it a hat-trick of Championship teams in the quarter-finals with a 3-1 victory at League One MK Dons. Chris Dagnall opened the scoring for the visitors after just three minutes before Marlon Harewood doubled the lead in the 20th minute.

MK Dons fought back in the second half with a goal from Dean Bowditch but Dagnall’s second in stoppage time put the tie to bed. Alan Smith’s late dismissal rounded off a miserable afternoon for the home side.

In the evening kick-off, OLdham substitute Matt Smith scored with literally the last kick of the game as Oldham earned a 2-2 draw against Everton and a replay at Goodison Park. Jordan Obita gave the Latics a 14th-minute lead at Boundary Park, smashing home with his left foot.

Victor Anichebe then levelled 11 minutes later with a crisp strike into the bottom left corner, and Phil Jagielka’s header three minutes after the interval looked to have done enough to give Everton the win. However, Smith came out on top in a penalty-area scramble to head in an equaliser in the fourth minute of stoppage time.