MLS Power Rankings (07/01) – Last Week’s Rank In Parenthesis
- LA Galaxy (1): Sure, they only picked up one point, but they’re still #1.
- Columbus Crew (3): The “Hand of GBS” helped lift CMB up one spot.
- N.Y. Red Bulls (5): A dominating road win over KCW has NYRB rising.
- Colorado Rapids (4): COL proved its mettle with a road tie vs. HOU.
- Real Salt Lake (2): RSL looked pretty anemic despite being @ Rio Tinto.
- FC Dallas (8): The Former Burn went on the road to smoke the Goats.
- S.J. Earthquakes (7): A tie @ RSL is a good result for the evolving Quakes.
- Chicago Fire (9): CHI got the W on the road, so they rise in the rankings.
- Toronto FC (6): The Reds needed more than a tie @ BMO, so they must fall.
- K.C. Wizards (10): KCW should fall this week, but there is nowhere to go.
- Houston Dynamo (11): HOU can’t move past them if they can’t win @ home.
- Seattle Sounders (12): And Sigi’s squad seems simply out of sorts lately.
- Philly Union (16): PHI crushed the Sounders in their new, sweet home digs.
- N.E. Revolution (13): NER’s homecoming for Ralston was snuffed by the Fire.
- DC United (14): DCU looked good before the break. Notice I said “before” there.
- Chivas USA (15): CHV lost @ home. Again. This team must miss Preki now.
STO (& MFLS) Player of the Week:
Week 13: Juan Pablo Angel (NYRB)
Week 12: Chris Pontius (DCU)
Week 11: Michael Stephens (LAG)
Week 10: Dwayne De Rosario (TFC)
Week 9: Will Hesmer (CMB)
Week 8: Alvaro Saborio (RSL)
Week 7: Landon Donovan (LAG)
Week 6: Edson Buddle (LAG)
Week 5: Dwayne De Rosario (TFC)
Week 4: Mike Chabala (HOU)
Week 3: Zach Schilawski (NER)
Week 2: Kenny Mansally (NER)
Week 1: Javier Morales (RSL)
My MFLS Update:
Week 13 was a weird one for fantasy MLS soccer. First of all, a couple of games ended 0-0, which always hurts many managers. Moreover, the upset bug bit a few teams who were heavily bet on (like SEA, for example). As for my squad, my CMB players did very well and Pappa put up a nice performance, but I also once again left some goals on the bench. I need to bounce back and Week 14 features some tough calls, so I need to get my mind off the Cup and on MLS.
But, before Week 14 rolls around, let’s look at my performance after Week 13:
Out of 2,815 teams, I am currently:
#92 in the Fantasy League; and
#61 in the Prediction League.
Here is how I stack up against the savvy managers in my historic MFLS division, USA vs. World.
Out of 30 teams, I am currently:
#7 in the Fantasy League; and
#5 in the Prediction League.
Finally, here is my cup history for 2010:
Elite Cup: Eliminated in First Round by Ladanday Rovers FC.
Geographic Cup: Eliminated in First Round by EHS Wildcats.
MFLS Open Cup: Failed to Qualify.
Mug O’ Suds Cup: Failed to Qualify.
International Cup: Eliminated in Quarterfinals by SDFC Macross.
Previous Cups & Honors: None.
Yes, my MFLS Fantasy League trophy cabinet is still bare. I have had a little success in the Prediction League though. Last year, I finished in the Top 25 out of over 1,500 teams and in 2008 I finished in the Top 50 out of 2,250 teams. Unfortunately, my numbers in the Fantasy League have never been as good though, and I have never reached my main goal, which is to finish a season in the MFLS Top 100. I have been close though. In fact, I have just missed it a couple years in a row now, so I am hoping this is the year I can finally break through. Please wish my squad luck. We’ll need it.