MLS Power Rankings (03/22): Another season will soon begin (or so I hope, since I am writing this post on March 13, 2010). That means multitudes of MLS fans and soccer journalists will be proffering up their power rankings. Now, these rankings don’t mean a damn thing, but they are still fun to concoct so we can gauge how well we know the league and its teams. So, without further ado (and Adu), here is my Week 1 MLS Power Rankings:
- Columbus Crew: Two straight Supporters Shields, so I think they are #1 right now.
- LA Galaxy: I can’t believe I have them here either. But, I think Arena will earn it.
- Seattle Sounders: I like their chances of hoisting even more hardware in 2010.
- Houston Dynamo: Sure, they lost a ton of talent, but this team is always tough.
- Chicago Fire: They still have amazing depth, but do they have the desire?
- Real Salt Lake: Will they defend their title? My magic eight ball says “no way.”
- Toronto FC: The Reds are poised to push into the postseason with Preki.
- FC Dallas: Can they continue last year’s streak of domination? I have no idea.
- Colorado Rapids: This team has the players, but I think they lack the coach.
- New England Revolution: I love Nicol, but I don’t think this team has the talent.
- DC United: A new coach, sure, but he is already bringing in busts from KC.
- Chivas USA: The Goats without Preki will be one llama short of a petting zoo.
- Kansas City Wizards: I can’t help but think they will be less than mediocre in 2010.
- New York Red Bulls: Hard not to put them lower based on last year’s debacle.
- San Jose Earthquakes: They needed to improve, and I – for one – didn’t see it happen.
- Philadelphia Union: Everybody starts down here, Philly fans. Not everyone stays.
Good luck to all 16 teams.