Every sports writer seems to do “Power Rankings” nowadays. I am not sure if they do it just so they always have one article a week in the bag, or if they are ordered to by some higher power (i.e. their editor). Rather than buck the trend, I have decided to also provide a weekly MLS Power Ranking for you devoted STO readers out there to devour.
So, here are my Week 1 Power Rankings. Note that I am doing these prior to Week 1 so they are sort of Preseason Power Rankings, but I wanted my Power Rankings for the rest of the season to match the schedule, so I opted for this method.
- Columbus: Sigi is gone but the Crew is still the class of MLS. I just couldn’t place them anywhere but #1 for now.
- Houston: I think HOU may eventually end up #1 on this list. But, they will be #2 until they can take out CMB.
- Chicago: The Fire could get off to a hot start this year, but I think they finish behind CMB and HOU for the SS.
- Salt Lake: I am putting them here to make amends for bashing them at the start of ’08. I think they’re stellar.
- New York: So long as Angel is healthy, NYRB will be tough to beat, but if he goes down, so will their ranking.
- Kansas City: Conrad & Co. need to score a slew of goals this year, or they will slowly trickle down this list.
- Chivas USA: The Goats are an enigma. I think they may eventually prove me wrong for putting them here.
- Dallas: The Former Burn will need a severe rash of good play early to blaze their way up my power rankings.
- Toronto: The Reds have improved greatly, but I still don’t think it will be enough to get them in the playoffs.
- New England: I think they will be worse in ’09 than in ’08, and I really don’t think they were that good in ’08.
- D.C.: I almost put United even lower here. Maybe Gomez will return them to greatness, but I doubt it for now.
- L.A.: I definitely wanted to put them lower here, but they have the most to prove, so I think they will improve.
- San Jose: They were improving at the end of last year, but I think the O still needs substantial renovations.
- Colorado: I think the Rapids will be very poor in ’09. Home fans at the Dick seem to be in for a long, limp year.
- Seattle: You have to start at the bottom, it’s tradition. Your team may suck Seattle, but at least you have one.