MLS 101: Seattle Sounders FC Edition

OK. So obviously I can’t really provide you with any information about the history and traditions of the MLS team known as Seattle Sounders FC. After all, they haven’t even had their first game yet. Their squad right now is not even finalized and history tells us they will probably be bad. Real bad. But here’s what I can tell you about them.

Their majority owner is Hollywood producer Joe Roth, who has made some great films (Bachelor Party, Major League and Young Guns), but he has also subjected audiences to some terrible films (I would rather get a root canal than watch The Jerky Boys Movie again). Also, comedic actor Drew Carey of The Price is Right is a minority owner. This team is more Hollywood than the Galaxy.

They’ve got some good players who could make them more competitive right off the bat than San Jose was last year and Toronto was two years ago. First off, Kasey Keller is a damn fine goalkeeper. Sebastian Le Toux has a nose for the net and Sainey Nyassi is a fine young player. In defense, Jeff Parke, James Riley and Nathan Sturgis are all experienced.

Finally, they have perhaps the greatest coach in MLS history, Sigi Schmid. I think Sigi will do a good job. So do the people of Seattle obviously, as more than 18,000 of them have plopped down their hard earned cash for season tickets. Seattle could be the best supported team in the league when they kick the MLS season off this March. I’m rooting for them, but based on recent history, they probably shouldn’t expect great results.

• Randall Hall February 26, 2009, 4:54 am

Good points all around. I again will adhere to my “wait and see” creed. I don’t think the Sounders finish above 7th in the West this year, but that’s just my ill-informed opinion. I do wish the Sounders the best of luck. I would like nothing more than to see them finish above the Gals, but we will have to…

wait and see

• Ron February 26, 2009, 12:15 am

We have plenty of players who can serve the ball in to Jaqua, both from center mid (besides Freddie, we have Evans who can play the CAM, as can LeToux, and Levesque), and the wings (Nyassi, LeToux, Zakuani, King). Alonso is a very good box to box mid, and is an excellent distributor of the ball.
    As for Parke, the FO chose him because they thought they could sign him (he IS a free agent, remember). Also, it has been widely publicized that he has no interest in playing on the west coast.

• Randall Hall February 25, 2009, 10:11 pm

nice. thanks for the feedback. you’re right about the nyassi thing. sorry about that, didn’t notice. i was perplexed as to why NER would let a young talent like sainey go.

why would sounders take parke in the expansion draft if they didn’t intend to play him? explain please.

as for the offensive firepower thing:

1) i’ve heard of jaqua, seen him too. think he’s overrated. he’s a big target, but he needs good service, which i don’t think he will get.

2) montero could be good. but i believe in the creed “let’s wait and see”. the mls is (believe it or not) better than the colombian league.

3) ljungberg will be the MLS bust of 2009. just my opinion.

you nailed me on the nyassi though. thanks.

• Ron February 25, 2009, 8:34 pm

Lack of firepower on offense? WTF? Never heard of Nate Jaqua, I take it? Or Freddy Montero? How about Freddie Ljungberg? Brad Evans? And it’s Sanna Nyassi; Sainey is his twin brother, and plays for the rev’s. Offense will NOT be a problem, it’s the lack of depth on the back line that has most people worried.
    Also, Parke will NOT be donning a Sounders kit, this year, or, unless the FO can find someone to dump his rights on, any other MLS kit.

• Randall Hall February 25, 2009, 4:16 pm

‘Tis true, Don. The Sounders have been around for awhile, but I was just commenting on the new MLS version. I hope they make an immediate impact, but their lack of firepower on offense concerns me a little. They do have Sigi though, so I’ll bet within three years they will be in the playoffs.

• Don February 25, 2009, 1:43 pm

While the Sounders are new as an MLS team, the team has a long and storied history and tradition from the NASL thru USL-1 to MLS. The glory days are back.